Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A couple of This 'n' That's

Quick update: I will not be going to New Orleans in March. Neither is South Carolina. Seems his travel budget was cut. After talking about how disappointed we were and how we needed the break, I ventured out on a limb and suggested we meet elsewhere.

"Maybe a little later," he said. "I'm still in turmoil." He said things were still going "pretty bad," but didn't have time to elaborate. Ah well.



I watched my son have a moment the other day, in which I knew he'd already learned something about dealing with women that many grown men never learn. That being, when it is (and is not) a bad idea to argue.

It was his girlfriend's birthday. Her folks were coming to pick him up. I said, "It'll be dark by the time you get home. Be sure you take a hoodie." He's been sick, so I figured this was a no-brainer.

Dear No-Brain Boy said , "I'll be fine." I differed. Girlfriend arrived in the middle of this.

"You've been sick," she said. "Go get a hoodie."

And it happened. I saw two opposing thoughts occur to Dear Boy, and collide violently on his face. For an instant, it looked as though he was going to tell her what she could do with said hoodie. Then, just as quickly, his brain stopped his tongue.

You could see it happen. "Whoa Nelly, child! Don't even think of saying it!" I could hear the brakes squealing in his mind.

He knew he'd be in irreparable trouble. He set his jaw and reached for the hoodie.

It was a beautiful moment.

No comments: