Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Kids these days....

First of all, let me say that I thought "Happy Pi Day" on 3/14 was brilliant.  I will be much better prepared next year.  I was a bad nerd and dropped the ball on that one!

Second of all, let me say that it really sucks to break a riding crop on someone's ass.  That's disappointing.  Just sayin'

And finally -- are schools not teaching about plagiarism anymore??  Every single semester, we have someone who gets caught plagiarizing and is completely bowled over by the idea that it's not okay.  This is the second time I've heard the excuse, "The test was to show my ability to find knowledge, not to say what I know."

Really?!?!?!  Really?!?!?! That made sense in your own head?

You're in college, for fuck's sake.  Why would your degree be based on your ability to copy someone else's knowledge?

A coworker says this is a product of "teach to the test."  They don't test research skills, so it's not taught anymore.  That's incredibly sad.  I think of all I've learned by just doing research for fun.  I liked the movie about Seabiscuit, so I went in pursuit of true-life materials about Seabiscuit and his people.  Have we abandoned curiosity?  Does no one get high from the "Ah-ha!" moment anymore?

My daughter will graduate from high school soon.  It just occurred to me that I've never seen her sit down with a stack of index cards, on which are scrawled references and quotes, and write a well-supported research paper.  I remember doing that for two major projects in high school.  I loved them both!  But that might just be me....

She writes a lot, but not like that.  I'm kind of stunned by this revelation.

2 comments:

e jerry said...

Quit it with the cheap riding crops, Miss Thing. Surely there's a decent erotic leather shop around there somewhere, or at least a tack shop for the horsey people.

Glitterstim said...

No, we don't have a good erotic leather shop here :o( But this one did come from a tack shop, but I think I should have splurged a little more on it! Jacob thinks he can fix it, though.