Tuesday, March 12, 2013

I don't always fuck up, but when I do....

....I make it a big one.

I sent an email to faculty today.  I get a response from Penny:
"Did you copy the new boss on this?  I think she'd like to be included on everything we send out. And you should have put it on the blog. We need to communicate that way instead."

For a lot of reasons, this pissed me off.  Maybe it did so more than usual because this day was pissing me off in general.  So, I sent a text to Jacob:
"I've so had it with Penny today.  I'll call later to explain, but she's on my bad list."

Send.

Then, I noticed the text before that.  Wait, that's not a conversation I had with Jacob.  That's the one I had with....

Penny.

Shit.  I sent that text to Penny.   Shit.  Shit.  Shit.

What else could I do.  I owned it.  I sent another to apologize.  I said she did something to rub me the wrong way, and it was a bad day already.  Very unprofessional, and I'm sorry.

I could have said that autocorrect did it.  I could have said she wasn't the Penny that I meant.  But no...I owned it.  Caused a huge cloud of awkwardness, but there you have it.

She came by my office a few minutes later.  "Sounds like we need to talk."

So, I told her that I had enough on my plate without criticism and the stupid departmental blog (which, by the way, is not even published yet).  She said, she didn't mean it that way.  She recognizes that I'm overwhelmed right now and will back off.

All in all, we're good.

Except that cloud of awkward hanging out here.

Shit.  I need ice cream.

6 comments:

e jerry said...

There used to be a Bailey's Irish Cream flavor from Häagen-Dazs...

Anonymous said...

Hi, it has been an age since I last read your blog and I can see things in the work place have not moved on much even if the players have changed.

It does look like your personal life has changed though as you were with Ranger back then.

I stopped bogging for a time but now I am back with a new blog.

oh and my current ice cream is cart d'or rum and raisin

Glitterstim said...

Jerry, I need to find that flavor!! Cold Stone has Oreo Filling flavor. OMG

Glitterstim said...

So glad you're back, Lady! And so glad you dropped by here, too! Things are changing at work, but some things are constant, that's true!

37paddington said...

Penny? Patti? Freud is all over your unconscious in this post, lol.

Glitterstim said...

Angella, thanks for catching that! That's what I get for thinking I can multi-task!! ;o)