Friday, October 24, 2008

One of those weeks....

Yes, it has been one of those weeks. It's been over a week since I've posted, so I thought I'd just jot a little update here, dear Diary.

It started last Sunday night. Daughter complained of pain behind her shoulder when she was going to bed. "It could be her stomach," my mother said. "I've hear that stomach problems can refer to pain to the shoulder."

My mom really should have gone to medical school. She would have loved it. She used to drive doctors crazy with us kids because she'd already researched what the problem could be before setting foot in the office. I've seen more than one doctor try to melt into the floor when he didn't make his escape in time.

So, Monday morning, Daughter comes to my room at time-to-get-ready-for-school time. "Mommy," (yeah, she still calls me "Mommy" and I love it!), "my shoulder still hurts and my stomach hurts, too." I told her to try showering and see how she feels. The hot water might do the shoulder some good.

After her shower, she got dressed and felt a wee bit better. I told her I'd rub in her shoulder to get more relief. As I started rubbing with the balm, she leaned against the counter and said, "I need to sit down." When she turned, I became alarmed. The color had drained from her face. Her lips were ashen.

She sat. I made the executive decision that she'd stay home from school. Slowly, the color returned to her face. I retrieved fresh pajamas and was helping her into them when it happened.

Hey, Jen - the Queen of Poo -- I'm now Blogget - the Queen of Barf.

I cleaned her up and tucked her into my bed, near the bathroom. I called school and work to let them know we wouldn't be showing our faces that day. When Daughter was finally asleep, I left to go to the bank and go to the grocery store for the good ginger ale.

And here's a Blogget Household Tip: for the treatment of nausea, I recommend Reed's Extra Ginger Brew. Sipping on this stuff really helps settle upset tummies!

So, I do my quick running and while I'm in the car, my cell goes off. It's Son.

"My stomach hurts."

Oh good God, no.

I chat with the nurse and head to his school. Poor fella looks terrible. We get about a block from his school, and I'm crowned Queen again.

A big apology to anyone using the Art Center parking lot in Grand Junction that day. He really couldn't make it any further.

For those of you out there who don't have kids, aren't you glad about now?

And that, my friends, was my Monday. And Tuesday. They went back to school on Wednesday.

My Thursday and Friday were booked with teaching workshops at my college. I do this once a term, teaching those who teach how to teach online. It's on the whole a completely frustrating experience, and have been told by observers that I display to patience of a saint. I'm not so sure about that, since they don't hear the rants I go on once I get ahold of a listening ear.

But my experience had a new nuance this time. I woke up Thursday with serious nausea.

Oh yay.

I had no choice. I had to teach. No way around it. I had to take the dreaded Phenergan. This is the stuff that Old BF refers to as "the trade your head for your ass" medicine. It's the stuff that knocked SC for a loop, the first weekend that I met him. So, I took just half of one so I could retain half of my head and half of my ass, in their proper places.

No food or drink in the classroom? Screw that. I packed ginger ale.

I arrived at work at 7:30 AM. It was freezing outside. Literally. 32 degrees. I gathered my things from the car, to start my across-campus walk to my office. I overestimated my ability to balance and....dumped my ginger ale all over myself.

Damn. That was a cold, cold walk.

I had a three-hour break between sessions, so I retreated to Ranger's house. He had the place ready for me. He tucked me into bed, with a mattress warmer to make the covers cozy. He had ginger ale, Jell-o, and chicken soup waiting. I ate a small amount, sipped on the ginger ale, and went to sleep. As I slept, he cuddled up against my back and watched over me, gently waking me when it was time for me to return to reality. I opened my eyes to look into his blue eyes, tinged with worry for me and sorry for having to wake me.

I survived the rest of the day and made it home to crash for the evening. And got up to do it all again on Friday. Rinse and repeat.

My head and ass are slowing getting back to normal. Hopefully, dear Diary, I'll get back to blogging normal, too!


darth sardonic said...

being sick just plain sucks. hope you get to feeling better

Fire Byrd said...

Hope you're all recovered now and that Ranger didn't get it.
hugs xx

Jen - Queen of Poo said...

Oh no, you poor dear! You really did have a hard week. I hope you all feel good as new soon.

I'm like your mom. I always know what's wrong, and what I expect to be prescribed. I research a lot, much easier now that we have Google. I'm not pushy about it, but you have to watch those doctors. ;-)

Ronjazz said...

You just take care of business, Jones. You concentrate on getting YOU feeling better, too. This flu is pretty awful this year!

Real Live Lesbian said...

Hope you're feeling better! That Ranger's a keeper! ;)

Blogget Jones said...

Darth -- Thank you! Much better now!

Byrd -- I am and he didn't! Thanks!

Jen -- It's a week I'm glad to see go away! And you're right - must watch the doctors. My mom sure did teach me to not take things at face value.

Ron -- Thank you and I have concentrated on that. Doing better :o)

RLL -- I am, thanks! And I'm beginning to think he just might be :o)