Relationships should bring out the best in you. By relationships, I mean all kinds, be it friends or boyfriends/girlfriends.
Signs they are bad for you (or you're bad for them):
- You feel bad when you finish talking to them.
- You can't get your work, homework, or studying done (or done right).
- Your grades or work performance suffer since being close to them.
- You find yourself doing things you used to consider wrong.
- You make excuses for their bad behavior.
- You keep things you all say or do a secret (because you're afraid of getting in trouble or being embarrassed).
- You're in trouble more often since being close to them.
- You compromise or sacrifice the dreams or goals you had before knowing them.
- You compromise your standards and values since being close to them.
- You treat others around you poorly since knowing them.
The list could go on, but you get the idea. Being close to someone means discovering who you are and what you can be together, not losing yourself for what they want.
Look around. If you're in one of these relationships, grow a backbone and stand up for who you are, what you want, what you believe, and what's important to you. You are too valuable to lose.