Thursday, February 02, 2006

Like a teenager....

...except that I have my own means, and such....

You see, I have a favorite band. I love 'em, love 'em, love 'em. Watching their lead singer gives me very unladylike thoughts. And they just ROCK. Full throttle wall of noise ROCK. I love it, love it, love it.

I have been to one of their concerts, but it was years ago. It totally blew me away. I couldn't get enough. I've been waiting for a fix ever since.

So, here I am, preparing to present a paper at a national conference. Big shot for my career. I'm presenting with colleagues, so they are counting on me and so are the conference people. We're planning the trip and it's all very exciting.

UNTIL I hear an announcement on the radio.

My favorite band is coming! Oh joy! Oh rapture!

...on the day I present at the conference.

God played a funny, funny joke.

Oh agony! Oh despair! It had to be THE day. The EXACT day, when I'll be elsewhere. THEY will be here.

Life is so not fair.

But wait! I'm a resourceful woman and I have friends who understand how I feel about this band.

So, I booked a flight. I'll present, go to a couple of sessions, and duck out early. Fly home. Rock my little heart out at the concert. Catch about 4 hours sleep. Fly back to the conference in the wee hours of the morning and finish the next two days there. I even got a good deal on the flight.

Ha! The best of all possible worlds.

Let's all sing along! "Hey, hey, I wanna be a rock star...."

3 comments:

Mz.Elle said...

Heee,that's going to be amazing!!!

Glitterstim said...

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong! What an exhausting week that'll be, but worth it!

Okay, the band is Nickelback. That last line in my post is actually from one of their songs. And according to the folks on the Nickelback Fan Club forums, I'm not insane! ::wink::

Glitterstim said...

Hey, Lisa! I just noticed that Nickelback is from your neck of the woods! Very cool!

I wish I'd started this blog sooner. I was there in October of 2003! I fell in love with it. BEAUTIFUL place! We had a great time at the Steamworks Brew Pub in Gastown, in Vancouver. Great food and a fun place. I just wish we'd had more time there, in the daylight and without heavy fog!

Aw well...maybe I'll make it back someday.