Sunday, October 01, 2006

"A little less conversation, a little more action please...."

And with that, my business trip next week gets more interesting.

No, it's not what you think. I'm not getting "a little more action please." I am going to see the King. Yessirree, this rock chick is headed to Graceland.

I'm headed to Mississippi by way of Memphis, with 5 colleagues. For one of them, it'll be her third "pilgrimage" to Elvis's home. For another, it's her first and she plans to do it up right! The rest of us are along for the ride.

So, the place has gotten lousy with merchandising and licensing agreements gone bananas (fried? in a sandwich?). I go prepared to embrace the tourist within. Maybe I can find Elvis guitar picks for my son. Maybe some kitchy purse for my daughter, made out of blue suede. My mom's birthday is coming, so I see Elvis-isms in her future, too. I'll just spread the tourist joy to everyone!

I have to admit, I look forward to seeing Elvis's final resting place. There's something almost alluring to me about gravesites. If I ever make it to Hollywood for a vacation, you can bet I'll be on each one of those creepy graveyard tours. If I couldn't meet these people in life, then it's something to stand where they have finally found peace. Well....what peace you can find with kitchy tourists coming to see where you eternally slumber.... Sorry, but I'll be one of them!

Now, I also have every intention of heading out with one colleague for the Civil Rights Tour or Blues Music Tour. Somehow, I think the level of kitch in those experiences will pale in comparison to the King's licensing machine.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Gingers Mom said...

Sounds like a blast. I've never been to Graceland. But I suppose we all need to be there once.
Graves don't really do anything for me. They used to freak me out, but not anymore. I've never really understood people going to where people are buried. I guess to me that isn't where they really are, so I don't feel the connection.
Interesting how we all see things so differently.

Glitterstim said...

Don't get me wrong -- I do not believe that's where they "really are." Not at all. I believe the other side is all around us. However, the grave is where the part of them we recognize as the earth-bound person is. That's where they will be resurrected from when that great and glorious day comes. So, there's something almost sacred to me about where someone is laid to rest.

Plus, I think it's an appropriate place to pay homage to those who are important to us. For instance, standing at the grave of my great-great-great-great grandfather was astounding to me. I have so many stories of the things he did in life. And this is the man whose blood runs in my veins. Being able to be that physically close to the person who did and saw and said and loved and fought, and ultimately made my life possible....well, it's an experience.